Be a Graphic Facilitator Programme
Imagine running sessions and workshops full of impact, delivering the outcomes you need. People remember your key messages and your sessions become a talking point. This is graphic facilitation.
If you want to take your facilitation skills to the next level, this online 12-week Programme gives you a heap of visual tools and techniques that you’ll be able to start using in your workshops, meetings and training sessions, whether in virtual meetings or facilitating in-person events. Your learning is hands-on, so you can put your new tools to use in real life during the Programme, with support and feedback from your tutor, a graphic facilitation expert.
Perhaps you’re an experienced facilitator who wants to create your own visual tools and templates to take your sessions to the next level. Or you may want to step up at work, or offer facilitation as a freelancer. Graphic Facilitation will make your sessions easier to run and help you engage your participants.
Running group sessions in a visual way will ensure you get hired again and ensure people want to be in another one of your sessions!
This a Programme that could change your working life. It already has for many people who’ve graduated!
Next start date
22nd March 2022 (until 13 June 2022)
Your tutor Cara Holland
Cara has been a visual facilitator for over 2 decades, working in the UK and around the world. She has built up a successful graphiking business with all kinds of organisations as clients, from the NHS to Google and IKEA. She’s developed her own personal style and visual facilitation methods through trial and error and has put all of that learning into this course.
Developed over years of running face-to-face graphic facilitation training, this course is full of tips, techniques and insights Cara has learnt IRL. Boost your facilitation skills with visual tools, techniques and templates in just 12 weeks.
What people say about this Programme
You’re ready for this Programme if…
This Programme will give you
Graphic or Visual Facilitation transforms group workshops, meetings and training into memorable events that engage participants, provide a creative environment for ideation and deliver real outputs that can move an organisation forward. Graphic Facilitation makes your sessions easier for you to run and gives you the support and structure to do what you’re there to do – facilitate the thinking and cooperative discussions of others.
This is your unique opportunity to learn by doing in a small supported group environment from one of the most experienced visual practitioners out there, all from the comfort of your home (or office).
Here’s an overview of what we cover in the 12 week Programme…
4 fast-track lessons to give you a foundation in functional drawing techniques:
(identical to Graphic Recorder Drawing Skills)
Week 1 - Basics
To start you off gently we cover the basics of
1. Equipment – a walkthrough the equipment you’ll need as a Graphic Facilitator
2. Colour – a deeper dive into using colour in your visual communications
3. Text – a deeper dive into getting text right – the right words drawn right
Week 2 - Start Well
We start at the beginning - how you get ready for your engaging, participative visual meeting, workshop, training or session
4. Set the Room - tools, techniques and tips to setting up the room
5. Visual Agendas - learn how to create a simple, powerful visual agenda for online or in-person meetings
6. Ground Rules - learn what ground rules you need to lay out to make your visual session a success
Week 3 - Journey
We're going to walk through the step-by-step methods to create and use impactful visual journeys to enable group planning and visioning
7. Story Lines - a powerful but simple tool to use with individuals or small groups
8. Business Road Map - create a visual journey through a business or service
9. Story Road Map - create a visual roadmap to show the highlights of a story
Week 4 - Flipchart Hacks
Learn these 4 powerful flipchart hacks (that you can use in online meetings too) to transform any session you're facilitating
10. Hack #1 - Borders and Titles - add impact to a blank sheet/screen to set the tone and intention of your session
11. Hack #2 - Flow - help participants avoid cognitive load with this visual capture technique
12. Hack #3 - Tabletop Capture - engage small groups for round-table/breakout room discussions
13. Hack #4 - Templates - set up graphic templates as an in-session tool
Week 5 - Templates
This week we’re focussing on creating eye-catching re-useable visual templates ready for your engaging, participative sessions
14. Container Templates - how to run your workshop with a visual template to support and drive your workshop process to a successful outcome
15. Narrative Templates - how to help groups see the big picture with a big picture
Week 6 - Plan and Review
This week I give you more step-by-step instructions to build your own visual tools to either reflect backwards (review) or project forwards (plan) as a team
16. 3 Step Tools - 2 ways to use this key visual planning tool to also reflect and review
17. Business Snapshot - I walk you through creating and using a powerful business review visual template
Week 7 - Groups 1
This week is all about visual tools to engage and ideate with groups to deliver a memorable, dynamic and engaging session
18. Open Spaces - Make your Open Space workshops and World Cafe sessions more visual
19. Group Mind Map - a useful and participatory tool for groups
20. Ideate - a fresh visual take on an ideation group exercise
Week 8 - Pause
This is a week to reflect, revisit and catch up. I'm here to answer any questions you have at this stage. This pause will give you the energy to complete the course.
Week 9 - Groups 2
We return to working with groups with more visual tools, techniques and templates
22. Focus Groups - create visual prompt sheets and learn to capture your group’s ideas fast
23. Group Scales - learn to use this tool to help people identify progress, movement, success or intention
Week 10 - Finish Well
This week I share advice, tips and techniques to end your visual sessions well
24. Challenges - tips for handling typical challenges in visual facilitation sessions - I've been there so you can learn from my experience!
25. End the Session - tips and techniques to make the most of your session by ending it well
26. After the Session - advice for ensuring your successful session is followed up with real action
Week 11 - Big Project
This week we're going to put together all the techniques and templates you've learnt into your Big Project (yes, that's the technical name!)
27. Big Project - you get most out of this week by choosing a real session you need to deliver, and preparing the visual materials for it with my support and feedback
Week 12 - Meta Record
We’re coming to the end of your course and the beginning of your future as a graphic facilitator!
28. Meta Record – time to reflect on and capture all that progress you've made...visually of course!
+ BONUS GUIDE TO DIGITAL GRAPHIC FACILITATION
This Programme comes with a bonus 8-lesson Guide to Digital Graphic Facilitation. The digital course is an enhancement, not a replacement for any Programme content.
- How to set up for Digital Facilitation
- Digital Basics:
- Visual Dictionary
- Before the Session
- In the Session
- After the Session