How the Academy worksGet the most out of your Academy experience
Welcome to the Graphic Change® Academy!
We’re thrilled to welcome you into the world of working visually. By signing up for a Graphic Change course you clearly want to work differently, so why not learn differently too?
The Academy combines the best parts of flexible online learning with progress tracking on top of guidance and support from an experienced tutor who’s been a visual working practitioner in the real world for over 14 years. We think it’s the best of all worlds.
You want to become a better visual worker, and we want to help you get there by making this a learning experience that enhances your learning, not distracts from it. To get the most out of your Academy experience, take a look below to get an overview of how the Academy platform works…for you.
Learn whenever & wherever suits you
- The Academy’s always open, so with just pens, paper and a device with internet access, you can learn anywhere
- There’s no live lessons for you to be at, so fit in your lessons to suit you. You even get to try things out in real life!
- Your student profile allows you to save progress so you can pick up where you left off…on any device
Be part of a peer group (longer courses)
- Our students tell us that they get a lot of value out of going through their course in a peer group
- Join with visual workers from around the world in a closed, supportive online community
- Benefit from the feedback and encouragement of your peers going through the same lessons as you
Keep to a schedule
- Some of our courses run at set times so you can have a schedule. We want you to complete!
- Whether it’s the 5-day Boot Camp or a multi-week course, we try to keep you on track with your cohort
- Our student-centred approach means we’ll notice if you’re falling behind, and help support you to get you back on track
Be taught by a visual thinking expert
- Your tutor is an experienced real-world practitioner, so our guidance is based on real experience, not theory
- Each lesson is tried and tested over many years of training, and structured to build up your visual skills in manageable steps
- In our longer courses join our private Pinterest group to get personal tutor feedback. In self-led courses use the Ask the Tutor fields to have a dialogue with your tutor to dive deeper and learn more.
Icons used in the course
Of course we wouldn’t be visual thinkers if we didn’t use an icon where a hundred words would do, so here’s a rundown of the most common symbols you’ll find throughout our courses:
Start a Visual Dictionary of the ICONs you create that you like. Over time this will build into a really useful reference tool.
Pick up your pens! Exercises improve your muscle memory and get you practising being a visual worker IRL.
Reading gives you the why of your exercises. Reading before doing the exercises puts you in the right frame of focus.
to do a step of an exercise. Don’t read on further until you’ve done that step. Helps avoid spoilers.
Remember to post your work
… to your private Pinterest group or attach to an Ask the Tutor note. This is your way to connect with your tutor.
Track your progress
To help you with your personal motivation we’ve created the Academy platform to be a true Learning Management System. So we fill our courses with clear objectives so you can track your progress by ticking simple checkboxes. Here’s how it works:
Watch video checkbox
Videos are included to demonstrate how to do something simply. We know you might not want to watch a video, so they’re optional. To mark your progress, check the box once you’ve finished the video or if you know you don’t want to watch it.
Some videos you do have to watch to complete the exercises (for example when practising Graphic Recording). These are included within the exercise so you don’t have to leave the Academy. We want to make life simple for you.
Once you’ve done an exercise, mark the checkbox. It’s very satisfying. By checking these boxes as you complete exercises, you’ll be able to track your progress in each of the following key pages:
- a Lesson summary at the end of each lesson (you can tick off)
- a Module summary on each Module welcome page (auto filled)
- a full Course summary on the Course welcome page (auto filled)
- on your sidebar menu – we’ll put a tick next to completed lessons
Pinterest Lesson posts (longer courses)
We know how important it is to stay motivated when you’re doing a longer online course. Our key tip to do this is to join our private Pinterest Group* – it makes this course the ideal blend of being with your peers in a shared, safe space with flexible online study.
On an multi-week course you go through a lot of lessons! To help you post your work to the Pinterest group in some kind of order, we provide Lesson titles for you to post your work under. It means you can work at your own pace, and post your work when you’re ready to have it reviewed. You’ll also then be able to see work on the same exercise from your peers – both inspiring and reassuring!