Be a Graphic Recorder Programme
Being able to capture someone’s content and turn it into engaging pictures is an amazing skill. It’s also a wonderful, creative way to raise your professional profile or generate your own income stream.
This tutor-supported online Programme gives you the practical skills and techniques that you need to start capturing conversations and content into visuals. Whether that’s in live sessions creating big or digital visuals for clients, sketchnoting for your own learning in lectures and meetings, or translating written documents into visuals, this unique Programme will take your practice to the next level.
You’ll put your learning straight into practise in the real world during the Programme, with feedback and support from your tutor, an experienced graphic recording practitioner.
This is a Programme that could change your working life. It already has for many people who’ve graduated!
Next start date: Tuesday 4th April 2023
Your tutor Cara Holland
Cara has been a professional graphic recorder for over 17 years, working in the UK and around the world. She has built up a successful graphiking business with all kinds of organisations as clients, from the NHS to Google and IKEA. She’s developed her own personal style and methods through trial and error and has put all of that learning into this course.
Developed over years of running face-to-face graphic recording training, this online Programme is full of tips, techniques and insights from Cara to boost your graphic recording skills, whether online or in person, in just 12 weeks.
What Cara says about this Programme
The thing with doing Graphic Recording is that a big part of the ‘magic’ involved is not magic at all… it’s totally learnable. Ideas plus techniques plus practise makes a graphiker (yes, it is a word!).
Practise helps you build muscle memory and also a good set of foundational Visual Thinking instincts. As someone who’s done my 10,000 hours of practise, I can tell you, many of those hours of doing were taken up learning from mistakes…of doing things the hard, long way because I didn’t have someone to learn from and I didn’t know any better.
So I knew we had to build an online course that wasn’t about learning information. It wasn’t about ticking boxes on a quiz to see if you’ve briefly remembered facts. Or watching videos of someone talking at you in a way you can’t absorb. Be a Graphic Recorder had to be about getting a pen (digital or analogue) in your hand and getting you drawing. And also giving you lots of ideas, tools and techniques to absorb, practise and then make your own to take out into the real world. And ideally giving you a fast track so you don’t have to make the mistakes I made! (I wish I’d had a me when I was starting out…)
So, I give you the ideas, skills and techniques and you bring the practise. It’s the deal we make when you sign up to Be a Graphic Recorder. And when we both do our bit …well I don’t mind saying that bit is the magic!
What students say about this Programme
“I have really enjoyed the Graphic Recorder course…The course is really well structured. I’ve always been fascinated with graphic facilitation…However I don’t think I ever really understood what visual thinking, graphic recording, or graphic facilitation really was until I did this course…The feedback and support that I got through Cara’s comments was key to my progression. I’m going to take this further in my own job as a secondary school teacher. I have the confidence now to build on all the things I learnt in the course…Thanks so much!!”
“The best advice I can give a prospective student is to set aside any inhibitions and jump right in because all you need to start is an inquisitive mind and a desire to learn. The coursework is very well-paced, allowing time for reflection and growth. Cara has found a way to provide real world building blocks for the student. Graphic Change Academy has proven to be very worthwhile and has set the bar high for online instruction.”
You're ready for this Programme if...
you feel comfortable drawing basic icons
you want to learn to tell stories or explain theories, strategies or plans more visually
you want to learn by doing - applying your learning directly to real life even before the course finishes
you would benefit from a supportive learning programme to keep you accountable in your learning
This Programme will give you
the techniques to create a professional graphic recording, whether with pens and paper or in digital formats
the skills to take your sketchnotes to the next level
the confidence to capture live meetings and sessions visually to bring them to life for participants and a wider audience
Graphic recording turns key messages into memorable, engaging, big pictures that can be cascaded throughout a company, shared with stakeholders and referred to long after the meeting or event.
Perhaps you’re already comfortable drawing and want to add a new skillset to your business. Perhaps you’re already a Graphic Recorder and you want to get some support and feedback directly from an industry expert.
This is your unique opportunity to learn by doing in a small supported group environment from one of the most experienced practitioners out there, all from the comfort of your home or office.
Here’s an overview of what we cover in the 12 week Programme…
4 fast-track lessons to give you a foundation in functional drawing techniques:
Week 1 - Basics
To start you off gently we cover the basics of
1. Equipment – a walkthrough the equipment you’ll need as a Graphic Recorder
2. Colour – a deeper dive into using colour to communicate in your recordings
3. Text – a deeper dive into getting text right – the right words drawn right
Week 2 - Dream
The most important part of being a Graphic Recorder is YOU. So this week we’re using graphic recording skills to focus on your dreams, your experience and where you want to take them.
4. Head Shot – create your unique head shot
5. Here to There – starting your graphic recording journey
6. About You – define your unique skills (visually of course)
Week 3 - Jump in!
We’re going to use the basic skills you’ve learnt so far to set a baseline – let’s jump in to doing some graphic recording!
7. Graphic Recording
8. Graphic Translation
Week 4 - Reflect
One of the most important parts of developing your technique is the ability to review and reflect on your work. But it’s a step people often miss. So this is a chance to practise this with my support.
10. Critical Friend – it’s time to review your work so far
Week 5 - Pre-session
This week we’re unpicking the vital techniques I use when preparing for a graphic recording session. I've learnt these over years so you can learn them in days!
12. Agendas – how to unpick an agenda with a graphic recorder’s eye
13. Weighting – how to plan your page
14. Questions to ask – the key critical questions you’re going to want to ask your clients before you walk in / dial into the room
Week 6 - In Session
As a Graphic Recorder there’s as much going on in your head as on the page. This week we take a deep dive into those hidden skills.
15. Listen – how to actively listen
16. Filter – how to decide what to capture and what to leave out
17. Layouts – explore your layout choices and understand what difference they make
Week 7 - On the Page
One of the most common things I get asked is how to make your recording look good. This week I show you how to put it on the page to make an impact.
18. Relationships – how does one thing relate to another on the page
19. Space – how to best use the space you have
20. Scale – how size impacts the message on the page
21. Continuity – how to harness continuity to your advantage
Week 8 - Pause
This is a week to reflect, revisit and catch up. I'm here to answer any questions you have at this stage. This pause will give you the energy to complete the course.
Week 9 - Perfectly You
This week is meta. Let’s use your new graphic recording skills and thinking to focus on you as a practitioner
23. Connect the Dream – where are you going next?
24. Style – what’s your graphic recording style?
Week 10 - Do Over
You’ve got the knowledge. You’ve been putting it into practise IRL. Let’s see how far you’ve come.
25. Graphic Recording
26. Graphic Translation
Week 11 - Catch Up
A week to review, reflect and catch up if you’ve fallen behind. I’m here for you this week for any new questions or realizations that you’ve uncovered.
Week 12 - Finishing Touches
We’re coming to the end of your course and the beginning of your graphic recording future!
27. Disasters! – I really have been there and done it. I share some real-life disasters and solutions to save you pain!
28. Meta Record – time to capture all that learning
+BONUS GUIDE TO DIGITAL GRAPHIC RECORDING
This Programme comes with a bonus 8 lesson Guide to Digital Graphic Recording online course. The Digital course is an enhancement, not a replacement for any Programme content.
This bonus course covers:
- Your digital graphic recording set up
- Digital Basics:
- Visual Dictionary
- Before a digital graphic recording session
- In session
- After session
Why we’re different
We’re visual thinking practitioners running a small business. This has great benefits for you…
we don't do mass online training
– we see you as an individual and we keep our class sizes small so you get the support to succeed and finish
we built our own visually pleasing online Academy
– tailored for visual thinkers and learners. Lessons are a mixture of text, pictures and videos that build up your skills step by step. They are full of hands-on exercises you can apply to your work
your learning experience is as individual as you
– do online lessons when you want, take part in your Class Community, show your coursework for tutor feedback, watch bonus video lessons, invest in yourself with 1-1 Coaching… as much or as little as you want
this online course is tutor supported
– fill in your initial Profile so your tutor understands you better and tailors your feedback. Post your coursework in your Class Community for supportive tutor feedback and encouragement
your tutor is an experienced practitioner
– so they’ve been there and done it IRL. They’re still doing it! This helps you deal with real world scenarios and learn tips, hacks and best practice from a professional graphiker
we have our own Graphic Change Community
– so you can practise being a visual practitioner in a safe environment. Learn with and from classmates in your own picture-friendly private forum supported by your tutor. Make valuable connections with other visual thinkers
your tutor offers 1-1 Coaching
– so you can take your learning to a higher level with optional coaching by video meeting. Ideal if you want to be a graphicking professional, or to enhance your existing practise
our support is personal and direct
– so you get a direct reply from a helpful person who responds to your individual needs. Try us out! If you have any questions about whether this course is right for you, email Natasha at email@example.com
Be a Graphic Recorder Programme at a glance
Online course, any device, any time
12 Weekly Modules
28 Lessons with practical exercises
Private Community to share coursework
Extra video lessons as your course progresses
Bonus Guide to Digital Graphic Recording
Individual coursework feedback
Full payment £750, or USD $925
Register between 4 April to 26 Sept 2023
Go at your own pace to fit in with your life
4-5 hours a week study / practise recommended
Class size limited to 20 people only
Drawing Skills warm up lessons
Boost your practise with tutor Coaching upgrade
3 month Payment Plan £260 or $315 a month
Sign up below to be added to the Waiting List and receive further information on this unique blended online learning experience!