Be a Graphic Recorder Programme
Being able to capture someone’s content and turn it into engaging pictures is an amazing skill. It’s also a wonderful, creative way to raise your professional profile or generate your own income stream.
This tutor-supported online Programme gives you the skills and techniques that you need to start capturing conversations and content into visuals. Whether that’s in live sessions creating big or digital visuals for clients, sketchnoting for your own learning in lectures and meetings, or translating written documents into visuals, this unique Programme will take your practice to the next level.
This is a course that could change your working life! We know this because it already has for many people who’ve done the Programme.
This Programme Term starts in
Your tutor Cara Holland
Cara has been a professional graphic recorder for over 16 years, working in the UK and around the world. She has built up a successful graphiking business with all kinds of organisations as clients, from the NHS to Google and IKEA. She’s developed her own personal style and methods through trial and error and has put all of that learning into this course.
Developed over years of running face-to-face graphic recording training, this Programme is full of tips, techniques and insights Cara has learnt IRL, so that you can boost your graphic recording skills, whether online or in person, in just 12 weeks.
What people say about this Programme
You're ready for this Programme if...
you feel comfortable drawing basic icons
you want to learn to tell stories or explain theories, strategies or plans more visually
you want to learn by doing - applying your learning directly to real life even before the course finishes
you would benefit from a supportive learning programme to keep you accountable in your learning
This Programme will give you
the techniques to create a professional graphic recording, whether with pens and paper or in digital formats
the skills to take your sketchnotes to the next level
the confidence to capture live meetings and sessions visually to bring them to life for participants and a wider audience
Graphic recording turns key messages into memorable, engaging, big pictures that can be cascaded throughout a company, shared with stakeholders and referred to long after the meeting or event.
Perhaps you’re already comfortable drawing and want to add a new skillset to your business. Perhaps you’re already a Graphic Recorder and you want to get some support and feedback directly from an industry expert.
This is your unique opportunity to learn in a small group environment from one of the most experienced practitioners out there, all from the comfort of your home (or office).
Here’s an overview of what we cover in the 12 week Programme…
4 fast-track lessons to give you a foundation in functional drawing techniques:
Week 1 - Basics
To start you off gently we cover the basics of
1. Equipment – a walkthrough the equipment you’ll need as a Graphic Recorder
2. Colour – a deeper dive into using colour to communicate in your recordings
3. Text – a deeper dive into getting text right – the right words drawn right
Week 2 - Dream
The most important part of being a Graphic Recorder is YOU. So this week we’re using graphic recording skills to focus on your dreams, your experience and where you want to take them.
4. Head Shot – create your unique head shot
5. Here to There – starting your graphic recording journey
6. About You – define your unique skills (visually of course)
Week 3 - Jump in!
We’re going to use the basic skills you’ve learnt so far to set a baseline – let’s jump in to doing some graphic recording!
7. Graphic Recording
8. Graphic Translation
Week 4 - Reflect
One of the most important parts of developing your technique is the ability to review and reflect on your work. But it’s a step people often miss. So this is a chance to practise this with my support.
10. Critical Friend – it’s time to review your work so far
Week 5 - Pre-session
This week we’re unpicking the vital techniques I use when preparing for a graphic recording session. I've learnt these over years so you can learn them in days!
12. Agendas – how to unpick an agenda with a graphic recorder’s eye
13. Weighting – how to plan your page
14. Questions to ask – the key critical questions you’re going to want to ask your clients before you walk in / dial into the room
Week 6 - In Session
As a Graphic Recorder there’s as much going on in your head as on the page. This week we take a deep dive into those hidden skills.
15. Listen – how to actively listen
16. Filter – how to decide what to capture and what to leave out
17. Layouts – explore your layout choices and understand what difference they make
Week 7 - On the Page
One of the most common things I get asked is how to make your recording look good. This week I show you how to put it on the page to make an impact.
18. Relationships – how does one thing relate to another on the page
19. Space – how to best use the space you have
20. Scale – how size impacts the message on the page
21. Continuity – how to harness continuity to your advantage
Week 8 - Pause
This is a week to reflect, revisit and catch up. I'm here to answer any questions you have at this stage. This pause will give you the energy to complete the course.
Week 9 - Perfectly You
This week is meta. Let’s use your new graphic recording skills and thinking to focus on you as a practitioner
23. Connect the Dream – where are you going next?
24. Style – what’s your graphic recording style?
Week 10 - Do Over
You’ve got the knowledge. You’ve been putting it into practise IRL. Let’s see how far you’ve come.
25. Graphic Recording
26. Graphic Translation
Week 11 - Catch Up
A week to review, reflect and catch up if you’ve fallen behind. I’m here for you this week for any new questions or realizations that you’ve uncovered.
Week 12 - Finishing Touches
We’re coming to the end of your course and the beginning of your graphic recording future!
27. Disasters! – I really have been there and done it. I share some real-life disasters and solutions to save you pain!
28. Meta Record – time to capture all that learning
+BONUS GUIDE TO DIGITAL GRAPHIC RECORDING
This Programme comes with a bonus 8 lesson Guide to Digital Graphic Recording online course. The Digital course is an enhancement, not a replacement for any Programme content.
This bonus course covers:
- Your digital graphic recording set up
- Digital Basics:
- Visual Dictionary
- Before a digital graphic recording session
- In session
- After session
Be a Graphic Recorder Programme at a glance
Online course, any device, any time
12 Weekly Modules
28 Lessons with practical exercises
Private Community to share coursework
4 recorded Live Tutor Classes via video meeting
Bonus Guide to Digital Graphic Recording
Boost your practise with tutor Coaching upgrade
Full payment £750, or USD $925
Individual, tailored online tutor support
20 September to 13 December 2022
Go at your own pace to fit in with your life
4-5 hours a week study / practise recommended
Class size limited to 20 people only
Bonus Boot Camp warm up courses
3 month Payment Plan £260 or $315 a month
This Program is £750 for payment in full by credit card.
On the same full payment booking form you can buy with Be a Graphic Facilitator for a special Buy One get One Half Price offer of £1125 (and defer one course until next term)!
Payment Plan options:
Pay for Be a Graphic Recorder in 3 monthly instalments (the first taken when you book) of £260
Pay for both courses over 6 discounted monthly instalments:
- Take Graphic Recorder this term at £250 a month for 3 months.
- Take Graphic Facilitator next term in March 2023, and pay £167 a month for months 4-6
Fill in the booking form below to secure your place today – once the 20 places are gone, we will close booking